Berk Law | The Name to Know if You’re Disabled or Injured
Proactive legal counsel for the injured and disabled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

What Happens If You Can’t Work?

Applying for Social Security Disability (SSD) can be a demoralizing experience. Many people feel defeated by denials and give up. There are many steps in the process of pursuing SSD, so there are many stages at which people may assume that it’s fruitless to keep trying. At Berk Law, we have extensive experience navigating the SSD process, so we know how and when we can push past a denial to move ahead with a claim.

Am I Eligible For SSD?

There are many strict rules and requirements governing SSD benefits. That’s why it’s so important to have an experienced lawyer representing you through the process of attempting to secure benefits. There are, however, some things that are important to know about SSD.

  • The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only consider you to be disabled if you have been mentally or physically impaired for at least 12 months, or are expected to be mentally or physically impaired for at least 12 months or if your disability is expected to end in death.
  • To qualify for disability benefits, a person must have a recent work history through which they contributed to the Social Security system.
  • People without a recent work history who would otherwise qualify as disabled by the SSA may be able to apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), which is also a very challenging process.

Learn Your Options

While it’s understandable to be skeptical about your chances of being approved for SSD of SSI, you won’t know for sure what’s possible until you talk to an attorney with experience in this area of law. When you come in for your free initial consultation, we’ll go over your circumstances and help determine if SSD or SSI could be a possibility for you, and give you an idea of what you can expect during the application process. To schedule an appointment at our Philadelphia office, write to us using our online form or call us at 215-989-4187.